Fuel cost is a significant factor in decision making when purchasing energy-using equipment. An analysis of each fuel type, where the fuel is converted to equivalent British thermal units (Btu), is an effective method for determining the value and true cost of the fuel. On this basis, natural gas is the lowest cost fuel, costing up to two-thirds less than electricity on average.
And that’s just one of many reasons why natural gas as an energy source is the best value for your money.
Natural gas is America’s fuel
- Domestic gas production accounts for nearly 100% of all natural gas consumed in the U.S.
- The United States produces approximately 41 Bcf per day more natural gas than 12 years ago.
- The U.S. future supply of natural gas (reserves plus resources) is estimated at more than 84 years.
Natural gas saves money
- Low domestic prices have led to savings of almost $50 billion for customers using natural gas for heating, cooking and clothes drying over the last four years.
- The affordability of natural gas has led to $76 billion in savings for American businesses from 2009 to 2019.
- Natural gas prices for commercial customers are the lowest in any year since 2002.
Natural gas is clean and efficient
- Natural gas emits 52% to 56% less greenhouse emissions than coal for the same amount of electricity.
- The direct use of natural gas (from source to end use) is 92% efficient compared to 33% for electricity.
- By using natural gas, your organization can earn points toward LEED green building certification.
Natural gas is safe and reliable
- Natural gas utilities invest $22 billion annually to help enhance the safety of gas distribution and transmission systems.
- During severe weather, the natural gas supply usually remains unaffected since it’s mostly underground. The pipeline network also has built-in redundancies to improve reliability.
Natural gas is also the preferred fuel choice for combined heat and power systems used in commercial and industrial facilities. These systems provide energy at costs up to 50% less than the traditional separate production of electricity and heat.
Low-cost, high-efficiency natural gas is one of America’s best energy values.